1.17.2012

Chicken & Dumplings

This is one of my favorite dishes my mom makes. For our birthday's we get to choose any meal we want and I've frequently choosen this one. It feels like one of those meals you have to sit around the dinner table for. Cozy and delicious. Plus it has been pretty gray & chilly in Seattle so I thought it would feel nice and fitting.

I made a bunch of it for Joshua and I this week and then we got to take leftovers for lunch- which rocked (until someone from work threw away the other 1/2 of mine for no good reason, in one of my glass ball jars no less! Yes, I'm a little bitter about it!!)

My Grandma Agin just told me this recipe came from her grandma and that I'm the 5th generation to make it! Super cool!


Chicken & Dumplings:

I tripled this recipe (madre's recipe with a few additions)

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 12/ tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
2 tbs oil
6-7 cups vegetable broth
white onion; chopped
handful of chopped parsley
1/1-1 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper

1-2 chicken breasts; cooked and cut

1   mix flour, salt, powder together and then add the water and oil and mix until incorporated
2   knead it on a floured surface and add additional flour if needed to make it into a soft dough
3   roll it out and cut with a pizza cutter into small rectangles
4   boil broth, onion, parsley, cumin and s&p
5   drop in the dumplings and coodk them until done; 8-12 minutes
6   the remove the dumplings and shake some flour and cold water together and dump
      it into the broth to thicken it up into a gravy-lik consistency
7   then place the dumplings back in and add in cooked chicken






I also made Black & White cupcakes for our small group Potluck I already have the recipe HERE!





1 comment:

  1. I might actually make the chicken and dumpling recipe!

    ReplyDelete