2.11.2014

Lemon Basil Cupcakes with Kumquat Glaze

 
I had kumquats left over from a rhubarb kumquat tart and decided they'd pair well with a basil cupcake I've been wanting to try out.

These were a big hit at work. They are great because they aren't a super sweet cupcake instead they have a little tang. Plus the little candied kumquats on top are the cutest!

Sadly I was not on top of my game when I was baking I put the batter in cupcake papers and then realized I'd never added the eggs & I dumped the sugar glaze all over the floor at one point - but after they were done I decided they were still worth it! They are really delicious!!!

Lemon Basil Cupcakes

2 1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter; room temp
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup agave (or another cup of sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 tbs basil; finely chopped or I used cubes of frozen basil
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup buttermilk

preheat oven 350 degrees F

1   in a bowl mix flour, baking powder and soda, salt
2   in another bowl beat butter until light and fluffy
3   beat in sugar, agave and vanilla
4   one at a time mix in the eggs
5   then alternate 1/3 flour mixture, 1/2 buttermilk, and so on mixing lightly
     until they are all incorporated
6   spoon 1/4 cup batter into cupcake liners and bake for 13-16 minutes, toothpick
     should come out clean


Lemon Frosting:

1 cup butter; room temp
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tbs lemon juice


1   beat butter until light and fluffy
2   beat in vanilla
3   mix in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time
4   mix in 2 tbs lemon juice, if needed add in more 1 tbs at a time





Candied Kumquats & Glaze

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
6-8 kumquats; thinly sliced
1 tbs basil; finely chopped or I used cubes of frozen basil

1   bring water in sugar to a boil in a small saucepan
2   add in sliced kumquat and basil
3   simmer for 10 minutes
4   with a slotted spatula remove the kumquats and place on parchment paper
5   save the glaze, I put mine in a squeeze bottle to easily top the cupcakes with


to assemble:
1   pipe lemon frosting on cupcakes
2   drizzle glaze over them (the more the better)
3   top with a candied kumquat

No comments:

Post a Comment