3.28.2012

think pink

I"ve been really wanting to make a champagne cake with a mixed berry frosting so this Sunday I went for it.
And it was tasty- not an overwhelming champagne taste but it was a really moist tasty cake and the frosting is finger-licking worthy. Plus the whole cake was pink. I used a pink champagne and then added a small dab of pink food coloring to the cake and I was shocked when it baked up to a cotton candy pink! The frosting was naturally colored by the mixed berries but the colors were so close that it was kind of a cool surprise when I cut into it.






We also wathced Funny Face (a 1956 musical with Audrey Hepburn in it) and the first song in the movie is think pink where they all deck out in the same color as my cake so it was pretty fun!




image from here




Champagne Cake Recipe:

This cake recipe I made was my base and then I excluded the vanilla/almond extract and substituted the 1 1/2 cups of milk for champagne.
I also put in a drop of pink food coloring- which went a really long way
and I used a pink champagne, you should use a sweet champagne


For the Mixed Berry Frosting:

1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries; unthawed and softened over the stove
1  1/2 cup of butter
4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
2 cups of champagne boiled down to 2 tbs.
pinch of salt


1   throw all the ingredients in and mix
2   creates a really great pink frosting
     that easy!

It didn't have a very strong champagne taste but it was really light and fluffy and tasted pretty darn good!


No comments:

Post a Comment