8.28.2012

Plum Galette


Pies scare me, so I wanted to start with something I thought I could handle. I made a galette which is quite like a pie but you don't need a pie pan and it has an open top.
It turned out to be really tasty! The almonds sprinkled on the bottom of the crust really made this special. And wow it was easy- I'm feeling like I can try a pie now :)


to fold the galette easily I used the parchment paper and pulled that up and
pressed it on top of the plums so that the dough evenly pressed onto itself
all the way around and it didn't have my finger marks all over it.


Plum Galette:
serves 8
adapted from this

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup of butter; cold
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 cup ice water
1/4 cup almonds; toasted, crushed
4-5 plums; sliced 1/4" thick (I got a few different types)
4 tbs honey
1 tbs heavy cream
1 egg yolk

1    in a large bowl mix flour, salt, 1 tsp sugar
2    cut in or grate in the butter
3    add 1/4 cup of ice water and mix
4    mix in the other 1/4 cup 1tbs at a time, add a little more if necessary- dough should hold together
5    shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, place in fridge for 1 hour
6    in a small bowl mix together almonds and 3 tsp sugar  
7    preheat oven to 350 degrees F
8    pull dough out and place on parchment paper
9    roll out dough to 1/4" thick circle
10  sprinkle almond and sugar mixture evenly over dough and press in
11  place plums in the center of the dough, leave 2" border
12  fold dough edges over the plums, easiest if you use parchment paper to fold dough up and over
13  drizzle honey over the plums
14  place in fridge 20 minutes
15  place parchement paper with galette on cookie sheet 
16  whisk egg yolk and heavy cream and brush onto the dough
17  bake in oven for about 70 minutes, crust should be golden brown




2 comments:

  1. Look yummy, I have to try!
    Kisses
    City-aholic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh ... Nom nom nom ... I'm such a fan of plums! And anything that uses the word "galette". Definitely trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete