12.12.2012

Cranberry Fig Sauce

I bought a bunch of cranberries from the farmer's market about a month ago, but I had no plan for them. I ended up freezing them until I had some inspiration for how to use them. I was still wondering what to do with them when Joshua said he'd never had cranberry sauce that wasn't plopped out of a jar. I knew this needed to be amended immediately, everyone should know what real cranberry sauce tastes like.
It was delicious! I made some challah bread to go with it and we snacked on it all week, yummm

Cranberry Fig Sauce
adapted from Kinfolk Magazine

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups cranberries
1 overflowing cup figs; chopped
1 orange; zested and juiced

1   combine sugar, spices and water in a pot and cook over medium heat
2   stir until the sugar is dissolved
3   add cranberries, figs, and vanilla, increase the heat and bring to a boil
4   cook for 5 minutes, the cranberries will start to pop
5   reduce the heat and cook cook for 20 minutes, it will begin to thicken
6   then stir in the orange zest and juice
7   let cool a little and you're ready to go. tasty with a spoon or on bread





I made this cake for a coworker's rehersal dinner- white cake with salted caramel frosting filling and almond buttercream frosting. I decorated it with edible glitter on the whipped edges so it sparkled really beautifully in the light. I'm really proud of it! I was also a nervous wreck waiting to hear it they liked it since I hadn't tasted it. Plus I've never sent a cake of to a bunch of people I don't know to consume. But she said it was delicious! YAY

No comments:

Post a Comment