11.18.2011

Baklava & Prayer

Our small group always meets and has a potluck dinner before we dive into the word. I always loved the idea of eating with friends before studying and it is as great as I envisioned. We have gotten to know these people so much better and are so much more willing to open up, I think, because of the time and conversation we share together first over a meal.

Unfortunately Joshua and I left the last one early because that's when I found out about my Grandpa.
But these friends gathered and prayed around us before we left and throughout the week called or messaged us in some way to see how I was doing or to tell me that my family was in their thoughts and prayers.
After we got in the truck to leave Joshua said he was glad we were there when I got the call. I was still sobbing and him saying that somehow comforted me. Having people that you barely know care the way they did and make us feel like they were really there if we needed anything is such a blessing. I pray that Joshua and I can be that to them and I'm so thankful to have been placed in a community that is genuine and loving.

Now to the baklava :)
This dessert is amazing. I've made it about 5 times or so and I never come home with leftovers.
And since I'm a grown up married woman I use a real pastry brush instead of the cleaniest paintbrush I can find (hehe)





Baklava Recipe:
1 package phyllo dough (16 oz)
1/2-1 lb chopped pecans and walnuts (I don't usually use a whole pound I'd say more around 1/2)
1 cup butter; melted
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup honey
preheat oven 350 degrees F

1   butter the sides and bottom of the baking dish (it can be any size dish you want just depends on how thick or thin you want it, I like an 8"x8")
2   chop the nuts and mix them with the cinnamon
3   unroll the phyllo dough and cut it so that it will fit the size of your pan
cover the unused dough with a towel so it doesn't dry out
4   then lay down 2 sheets of dough into the baking dish and then brush on some melted butter and sprinkle on some of the nut/cinnamon mixture
5   place 2 layers of dough on top of that and repepat
6   make sure you leave 6-8 sheets aside for the top and once you put those on butter the top
most of the time my dough crumbles at some point and I promise no one will notice
7   then cut the dough into squares and then triangles with a really sharp knife
8   place in oven for 45-50 min, should be golden brown

when it has 20 minutes left start making the sauce:
1   boil the sugar and water until the sugar is all melted
2   stir in the vanilla and honey
3   simmer for 20 minutes
4   when the baklava is done baking pour the sauce overtop of the dough
5   let cool and serve, can freeze it, don't cover too tightly or it can get soggy

Enjoy- instant favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, baklava! Can't wait to try this recipe!

    I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I've lost three out of my four grandparents and it's awful! But, he'll always be with you, no matter what.

    -bailey

    ReplyDelete