11.04.2011

Sunday BBQ Lunch.2


I already had these written so I thought I'd still keep posting them. Thank you everyone for your prayers for my family. I finally- after a 3 hour fiasco, got plane tickets and my husband is actually able to go! Which is truly a blessing to me. I'm excited to see my family just not excited about the circumstances. I just pray that this weekend we can be about lifting each other up and community.


This is the good stuff guys the BBQ sauce and the butt of meat! Which I know is really a shoulder of meat but where is the fun in that. While we were eating someone even realized we were eating a butt on buns- hehe

Check out lunch .1 & dessert!




Pork and Rub Recipe:
I went to Emeril from food network on this one
This requires 2 hours of thawing time, and 6 hours of baking time (you deserve a warning)

1 pork shoulder roast/Boston Butt, 6 to 8 pounds
4 tsp Essence(recipe for this is in with the BBQ sauce)
1 tbs salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

1   the night before put the rub on the butt :) and place back in fridge
2   take the meat out of the fridge and let come to room tempurature, about 2 hours for ours
3   preheat the oven to 300 degrees F
4   line roasting dish (we used a brownie pan and it worked really well, super easy) with aluminum foil and
     then wrap the meat in foil as well and place in pan, fat side up
5   bake for 4 hours
6   then remove from oven and take the foil off the meat. We decided to drain out 1/2 the juices as well
7   place it back in dish and bake again for another 2 hours; the meat should be really tender
8   remove from oven, and let cool until you are able to handle it
9   we used 2 forks each to pull apart the meat and we put it in a seperate dish, so it didn't just fall into the
     juices (Josh pulled hunks off and put them in the dish and I used 2 forks to shred it)

our whole apartment smelled like yummy spices and meat while we worked all morning!




BBQ Sauce recipe:
I really liked this recipe because it had the sweetness you'd want but then it was also tangy and had plenty of spice. Everyone else really seemed to enjoy it. We were glad we didn't have to go with plan B (run to the store and buy A1 sauce)  :)

I made this 2 days in advance and kept it in the fridge.

Essence: I didn't have all the fancy spices so this is my version
2 1/2 tbs paprika
2 tbs salt
2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs dried parsley
1 tbs dried thyme
1 tbs dried cilantro
mix them all together! & put 4 tsp of it with the rub

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onions
6 cloves garlic; minced 2 1/4 tsp paprika
2 tsp Essence1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tbs. dark brown sugar (can add up to 6 tbs if you want a sweeter sauce)

1   melt butter in a medium saucepan and then add the onions, cook until tender
2   add the garlic, paprika, Essence, ground mustard, salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and cayenne
     pepper and cook about 2 minutes
3   then add the tomato paste and stir over heat for about 2-3 more minutes
4   then add water, cider vinegar, and brown sugar
5   reduce heat and cook 15-20 more minutes to let all the flavors mix in, stir occassionally

VIOLA! Yummy yummy BBQ sauce!
 I loved the way our dishes looked on the rack :)

No comments:

Post a Comment