7.15.2014

Chia Obsession

 
Haven't had much time for food experimentation lately but I've got a new breakfast favorite that's blowing our minds! It is so simple, you can make it the night before, and it is customizable with very little effort. A coworker couldn't believe I'd never had it before but it was totally foreign to me- Cold Overnight Oatmeal. It is packed with chia seeds and oats that congeal overnight into a delightfully thick consistency. Joshua is obsessed with it and I love how filling it is.


Here it is Cold Overnight Oatmeal:
serves 2

4 tbs chia seeds
1/2 cup quick rolled oats
1 tbs honey or agave syrup
2 cups almond milk

1   mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, cover, and put in fridge overnight

assembly:

1   pull out oatmeal and put about a cup into each serving dish (I like to put ours in jars to take to work)
2   cut up a banana and put half in each jar
3   sprinkle in some berries or a little jam
4   top with remaining cold oatmeal
4   top with granola or a dollop of almond butter, maybe even a drizzle of honey

I love that any berries or jam will do, pull some from the freezer the night before and stick in fridge until morning, top with almonds or walnuts. I like changing it to how I'm feeling that morning, sometimes a spoonful of almond butter hits the spot.

Also you can make a larger batch for a few days in only a few minutes, gah LOVE

 
Then since I was really excited about Chia seeds I made some pudding for dessert

Chia Chocolate Pudding:

1/3 cup chia seeds
1 cup almond milk
2 tbs cocoa powder
1-2 tbs honey or agave syrup
optional- pinch of cinnamon or cardamom

1   easy peasy mix it all together, cover, put in fridge overnight or at least 3 hours
2   pull it out and whisk it to get air back in it
3   serve in dishes and top with things like: cocoa nibs, pecans, walnuts, yogurt chips

It is like a fluffy mousse pudding and the bittersweet cocoa just rocked it. I'm officially in a chia seed frenzy (I love that they pack so much protein! and are such little effort to concoct something delicious out of!)


No comments:

Post a Comment