5.13.2012

Mother's Day & Muffins

Happy Mother's Day Madre & Mother-in-law!

(I know it's a day late but my auto-post failed me)









Thank you so much for all you've been to us! Since we've been out here our mom's have sent us cards, candy, mattress pads :)

They have never let us think for a second that they don't miss us and that they've forgotten about us at all!
 Every once in awhile we catch each other saying something like our moms or doing something they always do. It's amazing to see the impact they have had in who we are. So much of who we are is because of them and how they helped us learn how to be who we are.
Such as, my mom said she always knew I'd move away, even when I was pretty young. And instead of trying to stop me she helped me pursue it, helped me find apartments for internships across the country, and listened to all my phone calls about missing my family or complaining about my job with nothing but love. She never said don't go, she just said to enjoy the adventure.
Both of our moms truly let us be who we are and love us for it.

So Happy Mother's day to two wonderful women! We love you and miss you bunches! You're always always in our thoughts and prayers, especially today!

Grandma's rock too!!!

My mom likes rhubarb, which is something I learned recently, so I made her something from some rhubarb I got at the farmer's market. I made sure to tell the vendor it was for my mom, so he dug to the bottom of the pile and got me the good and juicy ones.





Rhubarb Berry Muffins
(adapted from Flour Cookbook Recipe)

preheat oven 350
makes 18 muffins

3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cup butter; melted
1 cup milk
1 cup of lowfat vanilla yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup rhubarb; diced
1 cup frozen raspberries/blackberries

1   mix flour, soda, powder and salt in a bowl
2   in another bowl beat eggs and yolk until mixed
3   then whisk in butter, milk, yogurt, and vanilla
4   pour liquid into dry ingredients and mix only until combined
5   fold in the rhubarb and berries
6   pour mixture into the cupcake pan and fill almost to the top (they don't rise a lot)
7   bake for 20-25 minutes (not until golden brown, they stay pretty light, check with a toothpick)

of course hubs and I had to try them before we sent them and WOW these were good. I think I keep reusing the recipe for the cake part and play with the fruits and maybe a crumble top for variety but I may never make any other muffin cake except this one!
Once they cooled I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in a cereal box and bubble wrap and another box so fingers crossed they get there safetly.

No comments:

Post a Comment