2.11.2013

Cooking for the Padres

First of, no idea why I call them padres except I've done it ever since 8th grade when I first started taking spanish. I have also called my mom Madre for so long that she has actually said something when I actually just called her Mom. (For some reason I thought you should know this)

For the last 2 Chirstmases I've promised to cook for my family but then life ends up having different plans and I get derailed. And then every year my dad reminds me I didn't make him dinner :)
So this time I took it very seriously. My mom kept coming in to try and help and they tried to set the table but I kicked them out, now they know how Joshua feels, ha.
           herbed mushroom soup
           rosemary beef skewers

It all turned out delicious I think everyone was pleased, which made my heart happy.
My dad devoured the mushroom soup and my mom said that she could taste all the flavors I said were in the beef's marinade. :)



herbed mushroom soup:

1 lb cremini mushrooms
1 lb mixed mushrooms
4 shallots sliced
1 clove garlic; minced
1 stem rosemary
1/2-1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 tbs olive oil
S&P
4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup chives; chopped
1     cut off the mushroom stems and simmer them with the chicken broth for 1 hour, covered
2     in a skillet saute the shallots and garlic, add in the rosemary, thyme and S&P
3     slice the mushroom sand add them to the skillet, on low, keep them from sticking
        but don't stir too often cook the mushrooms until they reabsorb their liquid,
       about 10 minutes
4     turn up the heat to medium, add the white wine and cook the mushrooms down again,
       they should start to turn golden on their edges
5     strain out the mushroom stems from the broth and pour the broth into a pot
6     add the mushroom/shallot mixture to the broth and heat slowly
7     in a small bowl whip the cream until it is light and fluffy
8     serve the soup with a dollop of the cream and some chives on top
whip the heavy cream so it is nice and fluffy
top the soup with a dollop of cream and some chives

rosemary beef skewers:

about 1lb of good beef; frozen
15-18 rosemary stems; with the bottom leaves pulled off
4 tbs spicy mustard
3 cloves garlic; minced
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp paprika
2/3cup olive oil
11/2 cup heavy cream
15-18 basil leaves
S&P to taste

1     cut the steak into small 1/8" strips against the grain, it is much easier to
       achieve this smaller size cuts if it's frozen
(my mom's idea, although I was to late on it this time, I'll definately do it next time)
2     whisk the mustard, garlic, soy, thyme, paprika, and olive oil in a small bowl
3     dip a slice of meat into the mairnade
4     then place a basil leaf in the middle of it and roll it up, not too tightly or it won't cook well
5     skewer it with the stem of rosemary
6     set aside and repeat with the remaining strips
7     heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat(you could also grill them)
8     turn down to medium-hight and lay each skewer into the pan and try to avoid the
       rosemary stem from touching the pan so they stay clean (and pretty)
9     cook on each side for about 2-2 1/2 minutes
(I like my meat Done, so I also cooked them on the ends for a bit)
10   pull them out with tongs, arrange them on a tray and sprinkle with some good salt

adapted from this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment