11.01.2012

Autumn Dinner

Many that know me have sworn, including myself, that I'd never be able to cook fish. I have an aversion to it because it looks too much like what it was when it was alive, but my husband loves it, and we live in the Northwest. So I've been working on my issues with it and I'll only take a very small bite but recently I suprised hubs and cooked some for him. He was shocked! And I was shocked because I made it through without gagging, maybe I'm growing :) It did take me calling my dad to work up to it though.



Salmon cooked in a cast iron skillet

1     heat the cast iron skillet on low, about 5-7 minutes, until it begins to smoke
2     meanwhile salt and pepper both sides of the fish
3     pour 2 tbs of olive oil into the skillet and immediately place the salmon fillets skin side up in the skillet
4     turn heat up to medium-low, cook for about 3 minutes
5     then flip the fillet so skin side is down, cover with lid and cook for another 3 minutes
6     then remove the lid and check for doneness, if not fully done check every 30 seconds
it is done when it flakes easily when you run a fork over it
cooking it in the cast iron skillet kept it from sticking at all and kept it very moist!

I on the other hand just ate a plate full of green beans and the amazing mashed potatoes below

Basil and Goat Cheese Mashed potatoes

5-6 yukon gold potatoes; cut into big chunks
1-2 oz goat cheese
1/3 cup milk
2 tbs olive oil
few tbs of basil; chopped finely
1/2 tsp salt
S&P to taste

1     place cut potatoes in a large pot and fill with water to about 1" above potatoes
2     bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes, they should be easily poked with a fork
3     drain the water out and transfer potatoes to a bowl
4     add in goat cheese, milk, olive oil, basil, salt
5     beat the mixture until the potatoes are creamy, don't overdo it
6     add a little salt and pepper on top to finish it off

No comments:

Post a Comment