8.20.2015

All the Dill Pickles

I adore pickles. I have and probably will again eat an entire jar by myself in a day. My cousin and I once grabbed my grandma's jar of pickles went to a back room, polished them off, and then proceeded to pass the jar back and forth sipping the juice. After that one year my grandma bought us torso sized jars of pickles for Christmas from Sam's Club. I will eat pickles and ice cream, un-pregnant, in the same sitting. You get it, I love pickles.
I've never made them before though myself. I started small with fridge pickles, where you don't actually can them. Added a little red pepper flakes and mmm they are crunchy and fresh and I have to exercise restraint not to finish them all off at once.


dill fridge pickles:
adapted from this

6-7 pickling cucumbers; sliced lengthwise into halves or quarters
bunch of fresh dill
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp black peppercorns
red pepper flakes
4 cups water
8 tbs white vinegar
3 tbs kosher salt
1   get out 2 large canning jars and add to each: 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 pinch of red pepper flakes, and 2 sprigs of dill to the bottom of the jars
2   then add the cucumbers to the jars and pack tightly, but do not force
3   in a bowl stir together water, vinegar and salt, stir until salt is dissolved. Pour brine into each jar until completely covering cucumbers
4   then add a few more sprigs of dill to the top of each jar
5   put the lids on and refrigerate for 2 days before opening, during the initial 12 hours of cooling shake the jars periodically to get the most flavor
they last for 2 months in the fridge

1 comment:

  1. Russians love pickling things. My friend said when he lived here he ate sandwiches of rye bread, pickles, and cheese. You may want to try it ;)

    ReplyDelete