7.05.2012

Wheat Bread


Confession: I love toast, especially restaurant toast. Even if I order pancakes at a restaurant I sometimes get a side order of toast I love it so much. I love how when it comes out to me it's still warm and the butter is already melted into it, seriously YUM!
What I miss most by using store bread for toast is that the slices are too thin,
I want a hefty delicious slice of toast- ergo I just made my own!
Now I can slice it however I please.

I love this recipe because it makes 2 loaves so I can just do the same amount of work with double the results & put one in the freezer for a later toast date :)
The problem was I only had 1 bread pan and none of my neighbors were home-
SO I used a 9x13 pan and then set in it an 8x8 pan and VIOLA another pan.
I know you think I'm crazy but it worked and I got to bake them both at once!
They were pretty much identical looking too!

Light Wheat bread Recipe:
(From Gourmet)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbs active dry yeast
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups flour
1 tbs salt

1 egg; lightly beaten w/ 1 tbs water

1   heat milk over low heat, until hot not boiling
2   remove from heat and stir in oats, let sit until only warm, stir occasionally
3   in a small bowl stir warm water, yeast, 1 tsp honey and let sit until foamy (5min)
if it doesn't foam: dump out and try again (if it doesn't work you could have old yeast)
4   stir this mixture, butter, and remaining honey into the cooled oatmeal
5   in a large bowl stir together the flours and salt
6   add oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined
7   at this point you can knead it by hand on a floured surface for about 10 minutes OR put it in a standing mixer with a dough hook (mix until elastic but will still be sticky)
8   oil the inside of a large bowl and put the balled up dough inside of it, cover  bowl loosely with plastic wrap and a towel
9   leave in a warm dry place to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours
10 grease 2 loaf pans (or see my trick above)
11 knead the dough a few times to remove air bubbles, split in 2
12 then using your hands form each piece of dough into a long rectangle
13 roll up the shortways into a tight roll/loaf
14 place each in loaf pan seam down, tuck in ends, cover with towel and let rise for 1 hour
15 preheat oven to 375 degrees F
16 brush egg, water mixture on top of each loaf, sprinkle top with oats
17 place in oven for 35-40 minutes, or golden brown
(trick to knowing if they're done is to take one loaf out, flip it out of the pan, tap the bottom of the loaf- IF it sounds hollow then it's done)

can freeze them!

P.S. My littlest sister is coming out west to stay with us all weekend! EEP! I'm so excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment