8.01.2013

Farmer's Market Chili



When I went to the Farmer's Market this weekend all the stalls were overflowing with produce and I wanted ALL of it. So I decided to make chili so that I could buy up a variety and make a stop at a lot of different stalls.

Farmer's Market Chili:

-remember farmer's market veggies are usually a little smaller than those from the grocery store
-don't let them chop off your carrot tops you can use them in soups and salads- the leaves are nice and earthy but the lower stems are more bitter so I don't usually use those

 

10 carrots; I don't peel them (just scrub them really well) and dice them
2 turnips; chopped into chunks
3 sweet onions; chopped
1 cayenne pepper; minced
2 astry peppers; diced (or bell peppers- astry are like bell peppers with a little more heat)
3 cloves garlic; minced
2 yellow squash; diced
2 zucchini; diced
1 cup basil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 large tomatoes; chopped
4 cups broth (I used chicken broth from the market)
2 cans black beans; drained and  rinsed
2 cans chick peas; drained and rinsed (I recommend using dry beans but I didn't have any foresight into making this chili so I had to use canned)
1 bunch dino kale; remove stems and break off into pieces
1/2 cup carrot tops; chopped

1    in a large pot sauté carrots, turnips, onions, peppers, garlic, squash, zucchini for about 10 minutes
2    mix in spices and herbs
3    add in tomatoes and broth, simmer for 30 minutes
4    add in beans and simmer for 15 minutes
5    add in kale and carrot tops for 5 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment