4.18.2014

Creamy Polenta with Braised Vegetable Glaze

 
We've never eaten polenta (cornmeal based) like this before. I was a little skeptical but the recipe for the veggies intrigued me. Wowza it was so delicious. Like I said I was skeptical but I will definitely make this again. It would be such a great appetizer for 4, it plates so pretty.

Also I've never used demi-glace before, it's a boiled down brown sauce with a ton of flavor (like a stock boiled down to a glaze) I am definitely getting more of this to throw in as sauce for veggies over rice. It's very simple but a big impact.

Back to the polenta, days later and I still wish I was eating it. Lots of interesting flavors in this one dish. I bet you'll be surprised by how tasty this is- make it :)




Creamy Polenta with Braised Vegetable Glaze:
recipe from here, serves 2

18 oz. Trader Joes' precooked polenta or 3/4 cup uncooked polenta
3 carrots; sliced into about 2" pieces and halved
6-8 brussel sprouts; halved
5 oz. oyster mushrooms; cut in slices
3 cloves garlic; minced
fresh thyme
2 tbs butter
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbs tomato paste
3 tbs vegetable demi-glace
olive oil
S&P

1   in a saucepan bring 3 cups of salted water to boil
2   once it is boiling whisk in the polenta, stirring until there are no clumpsy, stir occassionally
3   then simmer for 10-12 minutes
4   while it is simmering sauté the vegetables in a few tbs of olive oil, 4-5 minutes
5   then stir in the tomato paste and a handful of thyme and cook for about another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently
6   then pour 1 cup of water and the demi-glace into the vegetables, stir well
7   bring it to a boil and simmer until it has thickened, 3-5 minutes
8   stir the butter into the polenta and then stir in the parmesan, add S&P to taste
9   pour the creamy polenta into 2 bowls and top with the vegetables and sauce
10 top it off with a little parmesan and thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment