8.24.2012

Homeade Granola Bars

Hubs had to work late this week and I therefore took that as me having to bake something to cheer him up for going into work early the next morning. So I bought apple juice and made these...

They are super tasty and don't take much effort.
I made them while watching Pride and Prejudice (I'm also currently re-reading it because I'm out of book, so naturally I also wanted to watch the movie, sorry girly moment)

(for the 1st 3 ingredients I bashed them with a hammer, also you could use a food processor)
1/2 cup almonds; crushed
1/2 cup walnuts; crushed
1 cup old fashioned oats

1/2 cup almonds; halved
1/2 cup walnuts;halved
2 tbs flax seeds (optional)
3/4 cup dried dark cherries; halved (or any dried fruit of your choice)
1/4 cup honey
3 tbs coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

1   mix the crushed nuts and oats, with the halved nuts, seeds, and cherries
2   in a small saucepan heat the remaining ingredients over medium heat, until the mixture foams
3   then let it stay on the heat for 15 seconds
4   then remove and pour over dry mixture
5   mix well to insure that the honey mixture covers all they dry ingredients
6   place a piece of parchment paper in an 8x8 dish so that the the bottom is covered and edges overhang
7   distribute the mixture evenly in the dish
8   fold the extra overhanging parchment paper over the mixture and press it down firmly, I used the bottom of a glass to help insure I pressed it down enough
9   place dish in refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set
10  pull out parchement paper with the bars and cut them to desired size
11 store with parchement paper between each bar in the refrigerator

I loved how simple this was and how I could easily mix them

together for breakfast for the week in about 1/2 an hour

No comments:

Post a Comment