7.07.2014

Dehydrating Fool

For my Birthday Joshua got me a dehydrator! Since we're adventuring more into backpacking and things I'd mentioned making our own dehydrated dinners would be fun and he must have remembered.

So far we've only dehydrated fruit but I've gone a little crazy. I don't love store dehydrated fruit, especially the bananas (whatever method they use it adds a bunch of fat).

But Ooo man I love the pineapples, kiwis, mangos, bananas, apricots, strawberries, apples we've tried. They all taste so delicious. We also tried grapes out of curiosity but they took 36 hours! I'll just buy some stinkin raisins next time!

Also while they are dehydrating our whole apartment smells tropical. We've had a lot of people over and we've sat around the table each time just snacking on dried fruit.

We're looking forward to putting it in our oatmeal while backpacking and snacking on it while we hike. Next up I want to try some homemade hummus and pasta sauce in the dehydrator because then we can have it day 3 into backpacking just by adding a little water- so much experimenting to do!

4 comments:

  1. What kind of dehydrator do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one :
      Nesco® American Harvest® Snackmaster® Encore™ Dehydrator and Jerky Maker

      :) So far it works great! Plus you can buy more levels for it

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! I never even thought about dehydrating fruit, only meat! You guys are so smart!

    ReplyDelete