10.12.2011

Mushroom Tomato Soup & Dad's Homeade Bread

I've been wanting to make my Dad's bread recipe since I brought Agatha home. I get to use the dough hook tool and I'm always looking for fun new ways to play with her. But I also really love making soups- you get to chop up tons of vegetables which I find truly comforting and therapeutic.








Hubs was working late one night and I thought I'd surprise him with bread(his weakness) and soup loaded with mushrooms. (He was super excited!)


I looked up a bunch of soup recipe's and then decided I didn't want to go to the store so I just got home and started raiding the fridge- luckily I had broth

Mushroom Tomato Soup:

1 onion; chopped
3 celery stalks; chopped
2 cloves garlic; minced
4 diced and peeled roma tomatoes
box crimini mushrooms; sliced
basil leaves; chopped
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup red wine
1 tbs. butter
1 tbs. olive oil
crushed red pepper
salt & pepper

1   In large saucepan heat butter, oil, onions & celery- saute a few minutes
2   Add garlic and mushrooms- saute 5 minutes
3   Add tomatoes, spices & basil- simmer 15 minutes
4   Add broth and wine- simmer 20-25 minutes


Dad's Homeade Bread:

6-6 1/2 cups flour
1/4 oz. active dry yeast
1 ts. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 cu warm water
butter
preheat 450 degrees F
makes 9-10 loaves

1   In large bowl use dough hook and combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt, and sugar
2   Gradually add water
3   Mix thoroughly, and mix in rest of flour making a stiff dough
4   Knead on floured surface
5   Place back in bowl and let rise until doubled size (1-1 1/2 hours)
6   Spray baking sheet
7   Punch dough down and let rise 10 minutes
8   Take dough in handfuls and roll into rectangles, then roll it up tightly and press at each turn.
9   Place seam down on baking sheet and brush loaves with water and let rise 30 minutes
10 Bake15-20 minutes and brush with water 1 or 2. Check frequently

No comments:

Post a Comment