10.26.2011

Red Velvet Cake / Original Frosting!!!

  A woman from my work was leaving to go to another job so I brought in her favorite cupcake to work - No my husband and I do not consume all of our baked good!
She was really excited and they turned out very yummy.
  I don't like putting in tons of red dye because I find it to be a little unappetizing in fluorescent red so I went for a more cherry chocolate color.

  Also I think cream cheese frosting needs to be used lightly I only enjoy it in small quanities with carrot and pumpkin cake. But for a cake as rich and dense as a red velvet I want to enjoy the moist amaziness it supplies and it's original icing that is much more whippy and light highlights it instead of overwhelms.

  I know a lot of people will not be on my side with the no cream cheese frosting but I dare you to disagree once you've had it with this frosting- o wait you won;t ;)
My vegan co-worker even had to try one!




 Red Velvet Cake:

2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tbs. dark chocolate cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk (which I never have so I make it with almost 1 cup of milk topped with vinegar, mix 
     and let sit 5 minutes, then use)
1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanlla
red food coloring (I like powdered food colorings they don't change the consistency of the batter, also
    the best for coloring chocolate fyi)
preheat oven 350 degrees F

1   lightly stir eggs and then add oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, food coloring and whisk
2   in a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and soda and mix
3   then add the dry to the wet and mix until just incorporated
4   will make approx. 24 cupcakes or 2 8"x8" cake layers
5   bake 50 minutes



Best Whipped Frosting in THE WORLD (& original frosting for red velvet cake):

5 tbs. flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup butter; easiest at room temp.
1 cup sugar

1   in a small saucepan whisk flour into milk and heat on medium-low
2   stir constantly until it is the consistency of brownie mix (brownie not cake)
3   remove from heat and let cool, once it is cool add the vanilla
4   meanwhile, cream butter and sugar until very well mixed; 5 minutes
5   then add the cream mixture and beat; 7 minutes

Then I iced them with a flour tip, similar to the yellow cake

No comments:

Post a Comment