11.28.2011

Homeade Cookie Cutters

Since I enjoy being crafty we made our own cookie cutters:


My family always spends lots of time making cookies in December and Josh and I are excited not to let being far away stop us from still making tons of them.
The special ones are always the sugar cookies- each kid got a tray that they decorated and got their picture taken with.
Since I don't have any cookie cutters yet I thought it might be fun to make some!



We now have an angel, snowman, ornament, tree & candy cane :)







Mini Tutorial below:
You need aluminum flashing (not chemically treated!),
scissors (that you’re not afraid you may ruin),
a ruler(for bending edges around),
& mini clips of some kind, string,
non-toxic adhesive (I used epoxy could also use double-sided tape if you only need to use them a few times)
  yes epoxy is toxic but not once it's dry

1   draw or print off what you want your cookie cutter to look like and measure the
      length of flashing you’ll need with the string
2    then cut the flashing about 1” wide and to the length of the string + a little extra
3    start folding and bending the flashing around your drawing and use the ruler to help
      get good bends in the aluminum, also for some curves and such I grabbed pencils, cups and such
4    once you’ve made your shape leave a little bit to overlap each end of the aluminum, at least ½”
5    then put some glue on one end and push them together and clamp
6    let dry, wash them, and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I never would have thought of making my own cookie cutters but they look great! Now I need to see some cookies mad with them!! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so neat girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle Dai9.12.11

    You two make me happy :-) Cute!!! I want to do this now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should! I want to make non-holiday ones like a mustache or something :) I miss you, be checking your mailbox!

    ReplyDelete