11.21.2011

Pumpkin Guts & Pumpkin Recipies

So Joshua and I went to the pumpkin patch and intended to carve o
ur pumpkin but life took over and we never got around to it :(
So the other day we had to compost him, but we did make some
pumpkin flavored treats this fall:
I never really thought I liked pumpkin flavored things- I was wrong.



Also check out my friend Adrienne's blog she has some FANTASTIC pumpkin recipies (& their much healthier than mine hehe)


Pumpkin Bread:

Beware this makes 3 loaves! Definitely send them to work with Joshua.
He took one loaf on Monday and they asked him to bring more the next day for when the clients from Turkey came in- turned out to be a good thing I had 3!

1 can 15oz. pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup olive oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
walnuts
chocolate chips
preheat 350 degrees F

1   mix pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, sugar in a bowl
2   in another bowl mix flour, soda, salt, and spices
3   stir dry into the wet ingredients until just blended
4   then add walnuts- since this makes 3 loaves I only added chocolate chips to the last loaf= variety :)
5   grease bread pans and bake 35-40 minutes if doing individually or around 50 minutes if doing all 3







Pumpkin Roll:
Joshua loves these and he helped me make it for our small group. Yet it didn't really turn out very pretty and it kind of cracked which I attribute to  him helping :)
But really I think it is because my dough was too thick, so be careful I just used a normal size rectangular cake pan and it wasn't big enough and the dough cracked when I rolled it because it was too thick

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree (I snuck in a little more)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice (also snuck in a little more of this)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Filling:
1 8 oz. package cream cheese; softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
6 tbs. butter; softened

preheat oven 375 degrees F

1     grease pan and then put wax paper on the bottom of it
2     combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, soda, powder, and salt in a bowl
3     in a large mixer whip the eggs and then mix in the pumpkin
4     then add in the dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time and mix until just incorporated
5     spread the batter into the pan evenly and bake for 12-16 min. top of dough should spring back when touched, don't over cook
6     place a towel down on the counter and sprinkle it with powdered sugar
7     when the dough is done immediately loosen edges and turn it onto the towel and remove the wax paper
8     then roll up the dough with the towel and let it cool compeltely (I did not do this oops) you can put it in the fridge to speed it up
9     beat the filling ingredients
10   once the roll has cooled unroll it gently and spread the filling on top of it
11   reroll the dough without the towel and wrap the roll
12   refrigerate and then serve, it tastes best cold!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my! This blog might become a favorite to check into: those pictures and recipes look amazing! I'm glad someone else out there loves to eat just as much as I do. I just wish I could cook!

    Lovely blog. Your wedding dress is AMAZING! I totally understand living away from home and family. We did it for a few years, except we're FROM the west and lived out EAST instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O I have no problem with the loving to eat. Thank you so much for your comment, made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that pumpkin roll looks amazing! I hope someone is making it over Thanksgiving otherwise I might have to try making it myself!

    ReplyDelete